Thursday, June 19, 2014

One of my favorite quilts

Sew Mama Sew is hosting a fun linkup this month that gives us the opportunity to share favorite quilts. I pulled up some photos from my past quilts and found a fun favorite that I have never shared here on my blog before,
Specific questions are provided for us at the linkup:
Tell us about your favorite quilt. When did you make it? What pattern did you use? What fabrics? I sketched out this Double Irish Chain pattern on graph paper before beginning the quilt for my son, back in 2006. The fabrics used came from a distant relative's estate, and I had been hoarding them for year's because they are super-SOFT! The brown one is actually like velvet. It was a really cold winter in Eastern Washington when I pulled them all out and set to work!

Have you shown it at any quilt shows or entered it in any contests? No, I have been pretty shy about entering quilts in shows, however the online quilting community has helped me come out of my shell a bit in this regard and I entered a couple quilts at a local show last year for my first time!

What memories or people does the quilt make you think of? I haven't actually seen this quilt in some time. Looking at these photos brings my son to mind, and remind me also of the very first quilt I ever made, when I was expecting Jesse some 21 years prior.

What do you like best about the quilt?
I think, really, it is just knowing how much he loves it, and knowing that he feels my love through it.

How did you grow as a quilter while making it?
It was really out of necessity, but this was the first time I pieced a back.
My son is mildly color-blind, and sometimes brown and green shades appear similar to him, so I did wonder at the time how the contrast within the chains would appear to him, but these are colors that appeal to him and I knew he would love the texture.
I made sure he could not miss the pattern here though...
If you could make this quilt again, what (if anything) would you do differently?
It would be fun to make another with all-cottons, and get fancy with some free motion quilting!
For uniformity, washability, and great cuddle-ability , I used a high-loft poly batting for this quilt. It just seemed right for this fabric, being that it is a poly...
We must keep our babies warm ;-)


I thank you for visiting while I reminisce, and hope you enjoyed the post!
I look forward to reading all the 'My Favorite Quilt' stories this weekend when I spend more time at the SewMamaSew Linkup. If you have a favorite quilt story to tell, the linky is open through June!

3 comments:

  1. Looks snuggly and warm. Interesting pattern. I like that is double sided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing you used family fabric, that is wonderful! I shared mine at http://blog.patsloan.com/2014/06/pat-sloan-my-favorite-quilt-.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...