Thursday, December 3, 2015

Throwback Thursday, A Mini Carpenter Square

Dusting off the cobwebs today!
I made this in 1985!
Rudely constructed, yet I still love it.
It hangs proudly in my walk-in closet, "For Mine Eyes Only".

Until now.
I found the Carpenter's Square Mini pictured in a library book. After all these years, I have no idea the title of that book, but I am pretty sure it did not have much instruction about quilting.
Certainly I was unaware of any rules to this game.
Prior to my rotary cutter, I measured and cut each strip. The binding is folded over from the back.
Ignorance is bliss!

Quilt Stats:
15" Square Finish
Fabrics: Muslin, Yarn-dyed blue cotton solid, Poly/Cotton Burgundy.
Batting: Yucky Polyester, the fibers are popping through the backing..
Quilting: Hand-quilted with a thin polyester thread. The back looks especially unskilled and I did not know to bury knots.

Thank you Jenn, for encouraging us to expose, record our past and share our quilting journey!

12 comments:

  1. It took many years before I learned about burying threads, too! Those rings are a great hanging solution, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I want to learn how to hand quilt, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's adorable! It wants to come out of the closet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this little quilt! Our beginnings are often very humble. Your hand-quilting is beautiful and I love the woven effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it needs to hang in your closet! That's some lovely hand quilting. I still don't know how to bury threads and I've been at this a while. Thank you for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful quilt, and you should be proud of it. My first quilt is displayed from time to time - I too made mine back in the day when there were no rules - well none that I knew, and I winged it as I went along. Look at that intricate design and that lovely hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! No quilt police over here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Given the surge in interest in minis, I think this one needs to come out of the closet. It has a neat graphic design that makes it much more modern than 1985!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really neat design. I think it could also be cool in a maxi...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did it really well Heidi! Isn't it fun to see how much you've grown and changed, but then realize that you started off pretty great too?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...