Sunday, August 25, 2013

Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe.... which iron do I favor?


A quick review of the three irons I own: Shark G1462, Eliso TG1050, Presto PHOSA
Sometimes we take for granted things we have. In the case of my old GE iron, I wasn't aware how awesome it was until it had to be replaced. I used that iron nearly 20yrs without thinking a thing about it. (incidentally, the turquoise cord was a great coordinate for my board at the time). 
Following it's burnout were several frustrating years in which I made various iron purchases; several main-stream irons by major brands (Sunbeam, Hamilton Beach, etc..). I read reviews and shopped around, but it was one fiasco after another. I stained fabric, I settled at times for less-than-crisp ironing, I used a spray bottle a whole lot more, and I even had one actually catch fire  - yes, flames coming out from above the sole plate.

It was at about this time, 4-5yrs ago, when I decided to invest a bit more money than the 25-35 dollar range. I read reviews, and used a JoAnn's coupon to purchase the first iron I have up for review:

Oliso InTouch, model TG1050:
1600Watts
3lbs 7oz
9"x5"sole plate SS
This model features little pop-out feet that automatically extend from the sole plate when your hand leaves the handle, so that it may be left safely in a horizontal position. Great feature to save wrists, however it is this feature I have had problems with. The feet do not fully retract, making it more of a pressing iron, not great for moving the iron around. It had been over six months when the problem began, so I sent the iron back to the manufacturer for repair. It was returned within a couple weeks, however the foot doesn't always retract quite right, still,  and the little thingy catches my fabric, leaving wrinkles that are hard to remove.

It is also difficult to drain water from this iron, (photo shows the residual vapor).

And the iron does not get as hot as either of my others.

Whilst this was out for repair a few years back, I picked up an inexpensive iron to get me by:

Shark G1462
1500Watt
2lbs 9oz
4.5 x 8" sole plate SS
This iron is nice and lightweight, and has actually worked quite well! I use it for clothing nowadays, and the steam feature has never leaked or spurted. The smaller plate makes fabric take longer, so I was still using the Oliso to press fabric, until I recently picked up my third iron at a garage sale:

Presto Teflon II PHOSA
1300 Watts
3lbs 10oz
9 x 5" sole plate Teflon
This iron is a gem for fabric! I purchased it thinking it would be for starching only, but it really works well and has become my main 'yardage' iron. I am really happy with the silk setting on it too. I've actually not tried water in it and plan to keep it as a dry iron, so I cannot comment on that aspect. I also love that it must be shut off to actually turn off.
Go figure, the iron lowest in wattage actually gets much hotter than either of the others.

The next time I purchase a new iron, hopefully years away yet, it will be a NIB vintage iron from Ebay, much like the auction ending today http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Spray-Steam-And-Dry-Iron-Still-In-Box-/281153608079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41760f998f

But if I ever run into one of these colorful Presto's, it WILL make it's way home with me:-)


Which color would you want?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...