Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Making 3D Puffy Bow Tie Blocks - Tutorial

 

I made a few Block of the Month quilts from Marti Mitchell in the early 90's. One block included these three dimensional Bow Ties, and this morning I threw together some scrap squares to see if I could recollect just how it was done. I am participating in a Hugs and Kisses Quilt Along with Christa Quilts and I am considering making mine in this way:
 
 Start with five equal size blocks:                              
 
Fold one in half and arrange as pictured, then flip another on top and sew that righthand seam:


 Open up your bundle and place that folded piece onto the next square, aligning raw edges. Then flip the last square on top and stitch:

 I finger-pressed seams to dark side. You should now have somthing like this:

 Now, open up that middle square, nestling your center seam and catching all raw edges so they will be caught in your final seam:
 
Open, press and trim for completed block!

I couldn't find a photo of that original BOM I mentioned - it now resides in Spokane, WA.
But here is another I made at the same time period. It is a UFO I pulled out last fall and added the sashings to, it is not quite as this layout shows and I actually did finish all the corners with white stars  - just need to layer, quilt, and bind.
I hope to complete this before Christmas this year!
 

2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting technique. Thanks for the tute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned this tecnique a month ago and now have 1200 (yup 1200)
    more to make for a queen size quilt
    I saw on Missouri Quilt Company..
    Thanks for the tutorial so many more can have fun.. it really is fun to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...