Tuesday, March 5, 2013

EZ Method for Nine Patch Blocks

A new method for me, I decided to try the nine patch blocks I found at an older post from TLC Stitches . I pulled out a layer cake I have had for some time; a collection of 10" squares from Keepsake Quilting called 'Sweet Baby'. Following her instructions, I began with two 5 1/2" squares, and completed two 4 1/2" squares from each pair.

I added border pieces to one block from each pair and set aside the other.

Two crib quilt  tops were created this way (Not sure yet what I will do with borders)

 
I really had fun trying this out, and I do recommend it for nine patches with only two fabrics. I found it to be quite accurate and only a few of my blocks even needed trimming to complete.

I used a yellow solid for the boy quilt and found there really was not enough contrast, even after adding an additional bar and square to each block. So, I added a teal stripe, and more yellow squares to liven it up and to help make the yellow diagonals a bit more pronounced.

I chose a teal fabric for the girl quilt which I am currently piecing. I thought it would be nice to coordinate these quilts, perhaps for twins:-)

The really great part is that I now have 24 additional nine patches to make a third (and fourth?) baby quilt with. I love these 'sweet baby' prints!



And another bonus: After cutting away 2.5" square of each (I am collecting 2.5" baby prints for a future, 'truly' scrap quilt I plan to make), I still have good size pieces of each print leftover from the original 10" squares. I will likely use these in the border of the third quilt.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link. I've never seen 9 patches made that way, but I think I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like this method....seems quick and easy!! Thanks for rejuvinating this post at Tuesday Archives!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are no posts at the link. Can you post instructions for making the block?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...