Sunday, February 15, 2015

Heart Shaped Applique Tutorial

Roses are Red'
Violets are Blue,
I tried a technique today yesterday,
I would like to share with you!
Since I first tried this technique (with Ringed Circles), I have wanted to see how well it applies to points. Valentine's Day provided the perfect opportunity, and since the February challenge with Le Challenge is DOTS, this sweet little mugrug is what I came up with!
Initially, I decided to participate with Le Challenge having a personal challenge in mind: to expand my horizons in the world of art quilting. For some reason or another, I have found the themes to be tough to apply in this way, perhaps too general actually.
The topic of  'stealing' art and techniques has been on my mind since reading recent posts on a blog I really enjoy, Creations... Quilts, Art... Whatever. I was reminded of this quote after reading Nina Marie's post about 'borrowing' techniques. (last week's Off The Wall)

‘The difference between a good artist and a bad one is: the bad artist seems to copy a great deal, the good one really does.’ ---- William Blake

So, although I have not met my personal goal by letting lose with some art quilting this month, I did learn a new technique for curves/circles/points that I can apply to art quilting in my future! I took a lot of pictures along the way and hope you find them easy to follow.


















I am happy to say Ty & I enjoyed a SWEET Valentine's Day - hope you did too!

14 comments:

  1. That is a new to me technique. It makes the most impressive as one would expect the thread when appliqued by machine. Beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! I seen some circles made this way but no hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am bookmarking this so I can try it next week! I think this is reverse appliqué which I never have mastered! I love your mini it is very pretty! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this so so clever - I have never seen this technique before. Thanks for sharing on le challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This technique looks great, and I love the shower of hail spots. Gorgeous for Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely mug rug, and great review of this technique. I also enjoyed the things you linked to in this post.

    Thanks for linking up to Building Blocks Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, wow! How handy is that? :D I wouldn't have thought to try it, and I do like that circle method. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done something similar. Wonderful you gave us this advice. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial, Heidi. I think this will help me with the inset leaves on a table runner I've been drooling over. Now I feel as if I can give it a try. Bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial, Heidi. I think this will help me with the inset leaves on a table runner I've been drooling over. Now I feel as if I can give it a try. Bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mug rug looks great. And thanks for sharing this tute. I will certainly be trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have done an entire quilt with circles this way but never thought of other shapes! What other shapes do you think one could try this way?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have done an entire quilt with circles this way but never thought of other shapes! What other shapes do you think one could try this way?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...